How to Decide Between Ring or Disc Planning
Whether new or seasoned at planning, we’ve all been stuck between the difficult choice: ring or disc planning? (My answer has always been—both!). Luckily, we at Cloth & Paper have created a complete guide on how to decide between a ring or disc planner! We’ve broken down the key aspects of each planner type, and qualities that suit different planning styles.
Ring planners typically include covers in sturdy materials (such as leather) and a metal ring system. This is a great option for those that prefer convenience and durability.
(A5, A6, B6, Personal, Personal Wide, Pocket)
- Extra storage (pockets, credit card holders)
- Many cover options
- Extra insert protection
- First-time planners: Ring bound planners can be easily picked up and immediately utilized with beginners.
- Convenience: As a more popular option, accessories and inserts are more readily available online and in stores.
- Those that prefer durability: Ring bound covers are more sturdy and provide extra structure for planners.
Recommended Ring Bound Planners:
- CROC 6-RING AGENDA | A5 | WHITE LEATHER
- CONTOURED 6-RING AGENDA | A5 | BLACK LEATHER | SILVER RINGS
- SMOOTH 6-RING AGENDA | PERSONAL | BLACK LEATHER
- CLEAR VINYL A5 6-RING PLANNER
Disc planners use notebook covers and discs to build the planner, providing a flexible and fully customizable option. Read the blog “Starting a Discbound Planner System” for a complete guide on starting a discbound planner.
(HP Classic, HP Mini, Half Letter)
- Fully customizable
- Pages easily removed/inserted
- Discs can be adjusted (sizes, material, colors)
- Slim option + can be folded onto itself
- Planner covers may be added for extra protection
- Left-handed writers: Planner folds onto itself, providing more hand/wrist space.
- On-the-go + catch-all planners: Discbound planner covers provide a slim, versatile option.
- Those that prefer customizing: Allows complete customization; inserts + accessories may be switched out at any time.
Recommended Disc Bound Planners:
- CRYSTAL CLEAR DISCBOUND NOTEBOOK COVER | HP CLASSIC | HP MINI | HALF LETTER + DISCS
- GLASS PLASTIC DISCBOUND NOTEBOOK COVERS | SIMPLICITY + DISCS
- CROC AGENDA COVER | LARGE | WHITE LEATHER (Requires notebook covers + discs - Half Letter)
- QUILTED AGENDA COVER | SMALL | BLACK LEATHER (Requires notebook covers + discs - HP Mini)
"I still can't choose"
If you’re still finding it difficult to choose between ring or disc bound planners, we’ve got you covered! These budget-friendly options are great starting points for those that would like to test the waters before committing to a full set-up:
- TEXTURED PLASTIC BINDER | A5 | PERSONAL
- BEGINNER PLANNER BUNDLE | DISCBOUND HALF LETTER
- GLASS PLASTIC DISCBOUND NOTEBOOK COVER | HP MINI + 1.25” DISCS
While exploring these planner systems, keep easily divided notes (such as the Duo Notes Planner Inserts) to list aspects that you prefer between the two options. Keep in mind your planning routine and how you like to use your planner. For example, I like creative writing within my everyday planner and using something that is highly portable or does not take up a lot of space. So, my main planner is the HP Mini 7-Disc Punch. For home and educational planning, I like using something with a little more stability and writing room, so I prefer the A5 6-Ring Punch option.
It may also help to schedule a Planner Consultation with one of our experts, as they will evaluate your planning routine and planning needs to curate a personalized guide and help determine which system will best work for you!